November 29, 2018, 5–8pm: Performance reenactment of "IL LINGUAGGIO DEL CORPO. Pròleg" (2015-16) by Joan Morey
Interpreter: Catalina Carrasco and Gaspar Morey
Location: Third floor, Centre d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona - Fabra i Coats.
The reenactment is part of the live programme of six performances reactivated within Joan Morey's exhibition survey ‘COLLAPSE. Desiring Machine, Working Machine’ at the Centre d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona - Fabra i Coats (on view until January 13, 2019).
Each of the performances of the programme is extracted from their original context as studies or scenes from earlier projects and given an independent life. These live-action fragments encompass ritualistic exercises following the artist’s rules, tableaux vivants, and dramatic orations based on texts by the artist or by playwrights such as Samuel Beckett. Whenever possible the performances maintain their original interpreters, yet inevitably they are reinforced or degraded through their repetition, adding another layer to the artist’s exploration of control.
Preparatory study of the project THE LANGUAGE OF THE BODY (2015), in which the human body is considered as an ambiguous channel of communication. It is a tableau vivant that bridges Greco-Roman sculpture and minimalist dance, following dancer and choreographer Yvonne Rainer’s No Manifesto (1965), a set of rules that pare down dance to its essential elements. A nude male dancer adopts a dynamic, sinuous pose from classical statuary, described by the term contrapposto [counterpoise], while adhering to the apparently incompatible decrees from No Manifesto, which requires embodying a “No to spectacle... No to style. No to camp”. At the same time, a female choreographer dressed in black repeatedly reads a transcription of a radio broadcast entitled The utopian body given in 1966 by the French philosopher Michel Foucault. Foucault notes that the ancient Greeks had no real word for body except to designate a corpse, and he draws on a first-person account of sensory experience to suggest that the body has its special “placeless places” that are even more potent than all the myths about trapped souls.
‘COLLAPSE. Desiring Machine, Working Machine’ is the first chapter of a three-part project curated by Latitudes. The second part of COLLAPSE will take place at the Centre d’Art Tecla Sala, L’Hospitalet de Llobregat from November 23, 2018 (and on view until January 13, 2019). Titled ‘Schizophrenic Machine’, the third comprises a major new performance event which will take place on January 10, 2019, at an especially resonant – yet, for the moment, deliberately undisclosed – location in Barcelona.
Centre d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona - Fabra i Coats
c/ Sant Adrià, 20
- November 15, 2018, 7 pm: Performance reenactment of "BAREBACK. Fenomenología de la comunión" (2010) by Joan Morey 12 November 2018
- October 25, 7pm: Performance reenactment of "GRITOS Y SUSURROS" (2009) by Joan Morey 22 October 2018
- October 11, 2018, 7pm: Performance reenactment of ‘LLETANIA APÒRIMA’ [APORIC LITANY] (2009) by Joan Morey 8 October 2018
- Performance programme in the context of Joan Morey's exhibition ‘COLLAPSE. Desiring Machine, Working Machine’ 24 September 2018
- Maria Palau, "Contra l'abús de poder", El Punt Avui, p. 32, 23 Setembre 2018 (Catalan)
- Full performance programme
- Wakelet archive of social media content
- NOTA DE PRENSA: ‘Joan Morey. COLAPSO’, diversos espacios, Barcelona, 20 septiembre 2018–13 enero 2019, 19 September 2018
- Save the date: 19 September at 7pm, opening of the solo show by Joan Morey ‘COLLAPSE. Desiring machine, working machine’, Centre d'Art Contemporani Barcelona - Fabra i Coats, 3 September 2018