Event: Reenactment of "GRITOS Y SUSURROS. Conflicte dramàtic cinquè (amb l'obra d'art)" (2009) by Joan Morey
Date and time: October 25, 2018, 7pm
Interpreter: Carme Callol y Tatin Revenga
Location: Third floor, Centre d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona - Fabra i Coats.
The reenactment is part of a live programme of six performances reactivated as part of Joan Morey's exhibition survey ‘COLLAPSE. Desiring Machine, Working Machine’ at the Centre d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona - Fabra i Coats (on view until January 13, 2019).
Each of the performances of the programme is extracted from their original context as studies or scenes from earlier projects and given an independent life. These live-action fragments encompass ritualistic exercises following the artist’s rules, tableaux vivants, and dramatic orations based on texts by the artist or by playwrights such as Samuel Beckett. Whenever possible the performances maintain their original interpreters, yet inevitably they are reinforced or degraded through their repetition, adding another layer to the artist’s exploration of control.
|Third floor of the Centre d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona - Fabra i Coats. Photo: Eva Carasol.|
This dramatisation consists of a fragment of the last performance panel of the five that comprised CRIES & WHISPERS: Conversations with Radicals (2009). A female interpreter wears religious garments of a Catholic religious order and a black leather orthopedic boot with spurs. The artist directs the performer’s reading of a Catalan script based on excerpts from Éperons : Les styles de Nietzsche [Spurs: Nietzsche’s Styles] (1978), Jacques Derrida’s analysis of fellow philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche’s discordant conception of women in his work. The performer receives abrupt indications when the oration must be commenced or continued, and her body is summarily moved into various positions without warning, forcing the register of her voice and her delivery of the words to compensate differently each time. In the final position, the nun character is made captive, shrouded in a black sack, merely a detached head.
‘COLLAPSE. Desiring Machine, Working Machine’ is the first chapter of a three-part project curated by Latitudes. The second part of COLLAPSE will take place at the Centre d’Art Tecla Sala, L’Hospitalet de Llobregat from November 23, 2018 (and on view until January 13, 2019). Titled ‘Schizophrenic Machine’, the third comprises a major new performance event which will take place on January 10, 2019, at an especially resonant – yet, for the moment, deliberately undisclosed – location in Barcelona.
c/ Sant Adrià, 20
- October 11, 2018, 7pm: Performance reenactment of ‘LLETANIA APÒRIMA’ [APORIC LITANY] (2009) by Joan Morey 8 October 2018
- Performance programme in the context of Joan Morey's exhibition ‘COLLAPSE. Desiring Machine, Working Machine’ 24 September 2018
- Maria Palau, "Contra l'abús de poder", El Punt Avui, p. 32, 23 Setembre 2018 (Catalan)
- Full performance programme
- Wakelet archive of social media content
- NOTA DE PRENSA: ‘Joan Morey. COLAPSO’, diversos espacios, Barcelona, 20 septiembre 2018–13 enero 2019, 19 September 2018
- Save the date: 19 September at 7pm, opening of the solo show by Joan Morey ‘COLLAPSE. Desiring machine, working machine’, Centre d'Art Contemporani Barcelona - Fabra i Coats, 3 September 2018