A "Save The Date" press release (scroll down for different languages) has been sent out with information of the participating galleries and spaces and their exhibitions for the forthcoming Barcelona Gallery Weekend (29 September–2October 2016).
Returning for its second edition in 2016, Latitudes will curate "Compositions" (Composiciones), a series of artistic interventionsin unique sitesacross the neighbourhoods of the city. Each of the commissioned artists is represented by a gallery participating in the Barcelona Gallery Weekend.
Resisting an overall theme, and instead developing from the artists’ responses to the specificity of each context—people as well as places—the five art projects form a temporary thread that links evocative locations and public space, running parallel to the Weekend’s exhibitions in galleries and museums.
The invited artists are Lúa Coderch (Iquitos, Perú, 1982), Regina Giménez (Barcelona, 1966), Lola Lasurt (Barcelona, 1983), Robert Llimós (Barcelona, 1943), and Wilfredo Prieto (Santi Spiritus, Cuba, 1978), and the spaces where their interventions will take place are:
- Biblioteca Pública Arús (Passeig de Sant Joan, 26) - Lola Lasurt (Barcelona, 1983)
- Unitat Muntada de la Guàrdia Urbana (Mounted Unit of the City Police) (Carrer Wellington, s/n in front of tram stop Ciutadella-Vil·la Olímpica) - Wilfredo Prieto (Sancti Spiritus, Cuba, 1978)
- Club Billar Barcelona (Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes, 595-599) - Lúa Coderch (Iquitos, Peru, 1982)
- Former textile factory Can Trinxet (Carrer Santa Eulalia, 182-212 L'Hospitalet) - Regina Gimenez (Barcelona, 1966)
- Participating galleries and venues BGW - Robert Llimós (Barcelona, 1943)
"Compositions" is a programme of artists’ interventions originally conceived and curated by Latitudes for the first Barcelona Gallery Weekend in 2015, when it produced five projects by David Bestué (in the former ceramics factory Cosme Toda, L'Hospitalet); Dora García (at the Biblioteca del Campo Freudiano de Barcelona); Jordi Mitjà (in the Museu Geològic del Seminari de Barcelona); Rasmus Nilausen in collaboration with Pere Llobera (at the house of the former priest, gardens of La Central del Raval) y Daniel Steegmann Mangrané (in the Umbracle – Shadehouse – at the Parc de la Ciutadella).
- Composiciones 2015 commissions;
- Storify – 2015 social media archive;
- Instagram of the Barcelona Gallery Weekend;
- PRESS RELEASE: Latitudes curates "Composiciones", a series of five artists' commissions for the first Barcelona Gallery Weekend, 1–4 October 2015;
- NOTA DE PRENSA: Comisariado de "Composiciones", cinco intervenciones artísticas para el primer Barcelona Gallery Weekend, 1–4 Octubre 2015;