Mon, Oct 3 2022 2022, birdwatching, Helsinki, Laia Estruch, ocells perduts, Panorama 21, parahost, PUBLICS, Workshop
(Above and below) Members of PUBLICS Youth with Irina Mutt during their workshop in Lammassaari, 3 August 2022. Photos by Micol Curatolo.
Within the context of PUBLICS’ annual gathering Today Is Our Tomorrow in Helsinki, artist Laia Estruch and curator Irina Mutt will lead a workshop on October 8th, 2022, as part of this year’s programme focusing on the presentness of the voice in its many sonic forms, vocal modes and acoustic modalities.
This workshop culminates a series of encounters, part of Latitudes’ ongoing Parahosting at PUBLICS, that have taken place over the summer of 2022 in collaboration with PUBLICS Youth, an education initiative for Helsinki-based 18-21-year-olds.
Following a principle of a tour to bodies rather than to space, the sessions have encompassed new embodiments of Estruch’s “Ocells Perduts” (Stray Birds) (2021), a work originally produced for MACBA’s exhibition “Panorama 21. Notes for an Eye Fire”, curated by Latitudes and Hiuwai Chu, and supported by PUBLICS.
Latitudes has been collaborating with Laia Estruch since early 2020 in preparation for a year-long programme to be hosted at the Helsinki-based curatorial and commissioning agency PUBLICS, based around the notion of a partial, distributed, and fragmentary retrospective of her artistic practice. The pandemic altered those plans and in the summer of 2020, the invitation to curate MACBA’s first Panorama triennial (“Panorama 21: Apunts per a un incendi dels ulls”) came along, for which Laia presented the new commission “Ocells Perduts” (2021). The project was produced with the support of PUBLICS, and for the research phase, Laia received the support of the beca Premis Barcelona 2020 of the Ajuntament de Barcelona.
→ RELATED CONTENT:
- Laia Estruch performs “Mix” (2021–ongoing” at PUBLICS, Helsinki, March 2022
- Laia Estruch’s “Ocells Perduts” (2021) in the exhibition “Panorama 21: Apunts per a un incendi dels ulls” and four open rehearsals, Museu d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona (MACBA), October 2021–February 2022
- Podcast, “‘Minor’ Ornithologies” conducted by Max Andrews of Latitudes for TBA21 on st_age, 27 September 2022
- Podcast, Episode 27: Paul O’Neill (Part 1), Ahali Conversations hosted by Can Altay, 7 September 2022
- Cover Story, April 2022: Mix & Match: Laia Estruch at PUBLICS, 1 Apr 2022
- Panorama in Madrid and Córdoba, 14 June 2022