Fri, Jun 16 2017
2017, 4543 billion, CAPC Bordeaux, Curatorial Practice, curatorial writing, deep time, Faculty, fieldwork, research, residency, Sean Lynch, seminar, The Banff Center, Workshop
Julius von Schoppe (1795–1868), Illustration of giant stone near the
Rauenschen Mountains near Furstenwalde, 1827, Lithograph, von Tempeltey.
Between September 11 and October 6, 2017, ten artists, researchers, writers and curators from around the world will ponder geological formations and stratigraphy,
minerals, and resource extraction to speculate about a more expansive,
slower and longer-term view of art, exhibitions, and institutions. The spectacular Rocky Mountains will not only be the backdrop, but the active participants.
Through fieldwork, seminars, and independent study, 'Geologic Time' participants will be “thinking with” geology (beyond the depiction of landscape) as a potential way to consider non-conventional, deep-time perspectives on curating, exhibition making, programming, and fieldwork within contemporary art.
Lead faculty: Latitudes
Guest Faculty: Sean Lynch
"Geologic Time" is a thematic residency programme of the Banff International Curatorial Institute, Visual + Digital Arts organised by the Banff Centre for Art and Creativity in Alberta, Canada. Within the framework of the residency Latitudes curated the group exhibition "4.543 billion. The matter of matter" at the CAPC musée d’art contemporain de Bordeaux, France, on view until January 7, 2018.
View of the Banff Centre campus. Photo: Latitudes.
- "4.543 billion. The matter of matter" in pictures.
- Guest Faculty of the Thematic Residency 'Blueprint for Happiness' at The Banff Centre, Canada, 27 July–8 August 2015 16 July 2015
- Cover Story – April 2017: Banff Geologic Time 3 April 2017
- Cover Story – December 2016: Ten years ago – Land, Art: A Cultural Ecology Handbook 5 December 2016
- Cover Story – May 2016: Material histories – spilling the beans at the CAPC musée d’art contemporain de Bordeaux 10 May 2016.
- Second research trip to Bordeaux 16 July 2016